Okay. So I realize, since I haven’t written since June, that not everybody knows that we’re expecting baby #4…
We’re expecting baby #4!!!!
In 7 weeks and 4 days…
But who’s counting?
Anyway, I’ve recently started looking at those blogs that tell you what to pack. Sort of to refresh my brain. But some cases, these are naive moms-to-be having their first child. Been there. Done that. Totally know where they’re coming from.
I also know that there are hospitals out there that aren’t as cool as the hospitals here in town. My favorite aspect of the hospital where my first two were born was the buffet area where my handsome hubby could get a snack or lunch (and dinner in both cases) while I was laboring (and getting jello!). The other hospital where #3 was born & #4 will be born at boasts of homemade chocolate chip cookies for all those on the maternity floor when they pass them out.
Clearly, I’m all about food… <sigh>
Anyway… so here’s my list of what I bring with me.
1. Outfit to go home in – I suggest it be comfy, especially around your middle. I usually bring a pair of maternity pants cause whether you know it or not… your baby belly does not immediately go away… even for me.
2. Outfit for baby to go home in – I suppose you can go as all out as you want or just bring a sleeper or two (just in case baby decides to pee through their diaper right as you finally get them in the carseat in order to go home. I am always amazed how small he/she is in the newborn clothes I bring for them. But then, I have small babies.
3. Trial sized toiletries – Personally, all I ever brought was hair brush, shampoo, deodorant, tooth-paste & a tooth brush, which I MIGHT have remembered to use once during the entire stay (even my c-section :P) And make sure it is small, just in case in your post pregnant brain you forget it at the hospital. Besides, it’s less to pack!
4. Hair thingies – to keep my hair back, mostly for delivery & nursing afterwards.
5. Camera – any other electronic things are my handsome hubby’s job to remember cause I almost never remember nor use them…
The only things I might bring or not is: something for the first 3 to do when they come to visit, and #4’s baby book. But, these are optional, so if I don’t remember, I’m not going to freak out.
And that really is it. Because of what I know our hospitals provide, this is all I know I really need. I wear the hospital gowns (as ugly as they can be) and those socks they give you because honestly I don’t want to ruin any of my own stuff. They give you some of those throwable undies and to be honest, you’d probably want to throw away any undies you packed for yourself afterwards anyway.
Nobody expects you to look like a model right after you give birth, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead and pack the bare essentials of your make up.
Our hospitals provide anything you could want for baby so I don’t even bother. Then they give you what’s left over. This is the reason I only pack an outfit or two. I know I’ll come home with disposable diapers, yet another nose sucker bulb thing, and a ton of other stuff we may or may not actually use. I’ve been told that not all hospitals do this, so certainly ask the hospital you’re intending on using.
As far as stuff to do while you’re in labor or after baby is born: I could never concentrate on anything while in labor. I could watch tv, but that was about it. Even then, I am a channel flipper, which helped the couldn’t concentrate thing… After baby was born, I was more concerned about sleeping, staring at my newborn, or sleeping than doing word searches or some other thing.
So there ya have it. My opinion on what to bring to the hospital.
May God bless your socks off!!!